Everyone likes to be recognized for their accomplishments, and your employees are no exception. While it is true that top employees are motivated by many things other than praise, from a paycheck to the work itself, employee recognition can make the difference between a content employee and a truly loyal one.
Employee recognition can take many forms. It might be a public shoutout or a privately delivered gift card. It can also come from coworkers or clients as well as supervisors. A strong employee recognition program brings together multiple types of recognition and helps your staff remain motivated. It also offers many different ways for people in the organization to recognize each other.
Benefits of Employee Recognition
Employee recognition programs offer numerous workplace benefits. Here are just a few:
- Reduced turnover: Without a recognition program, employees may wonder if they’re doing a good job. They’re also less likely to feel valued by the company. These factors may lead them to seek a job somewhere else. Adding a recognition program can help you retain top talent.
- Better productivity: When they know that there’s a reward on the line, employees tend to work both harder and smarter. A strong recognition program can actually boost your bottom line through improved productivity.
- Teambuilding: Encourage team members to nominate each other for recognition programs. This helps them focus on everyone’s contributions. They may start to build stronger bonds. In turn, they can help each other succeed.
- Developing trust: A strong feedback system helps to build trust between managers and employees. This trust can help boost both loyalty and productivity.
- Reduced absenteeism: Employees who know they’re doing well are less stressed out. They know they’re making a positive contribution. They also feel more engaged. This can actually reduce absenteeism by making them really want to come to work.
- Better customer experience: Employees that are confident, happy, and engaged in their work also tend to create more satisfied customers. Enthusiasm is infectious. Positivity tends to spread. This can lead to more loyal and more engaged customers. You may even get new referrals.
It is true that top employees are motivated by many different factors. But don’t overlook the importance of employee recognition. Even a simple recognition program can have a series of cascading benefits – it helps build culture, improves the work environment, and goes a long way towards employee retention. This is good for you, your employees, your customers, and your bottom line.
Ready to hire?
If you need new light industrial team members in Illinois, Indiana, or Wisconsin, learn how SURESTAFF can help.