New Year’s resolutions are as old as time itself. But now more than ever, it’s important to set achievable goals, along with a plan to reach them. So how can your resolutions help you live your best life? Here are some suggestions to get you started.
Nearly a year into the Great Resignation, workers still have the upper hand. With so many labor shortages, employers are eager to give good, hardworking people a chance. Here are a few ideas for career goals in 2022.
- Switch careers. If you’re not currently happy in your position, this is a great time to go for something new. Tweak your resume to focus on transferrable soft skills and give it a shot! You might just land in the role of your dreams.
- Aim for a promotion. Maybe you’re happy at your company, but you feel like you have more to offer. This year could be the perfect time to seek a promotion. Make sure you’re giving your all to your current role, take on extra projects, and start looking into what’s available. And be sure to tell your supervisor you’re interested in moving up.
- Advance your education. Some jobs require higher education, especially if you’re angling for a management role. Taking classes is easier than ever before, thanks to the strong rise of online education. Whether you enroll in a degree program or sign up for special interest courses, learning something new is always valuable. Showing or demonstrating continuing education is a plus in your job search.
Of course, if the past two years taught us anything, it’s that you can’t be any good for others if you aren’t taking care of yourself. When developing your New Year’s resolutions, don’t forget to set some personal goals. Examples include:
- Block off “me time” for self-care. We can loosely define self-care as anything you do specifically to recharge yourself mentally, physically, and/or spiritually. Block out time in your schedule each week for the things that make you feel good, from nature hikes to bubble baths to video games.
- Practice random acts of kindness. When you’re feeling down, simply doing something nice for someone else can lift your spirits. Send a friend a “just because” gift. Pay for a stranger’s coffee. Or donate to your favorite charity in the middle of the summer. It doesn’t matter exactly what you do, only that it’s unexpected and done solely out of kindness.
- Read or listen to podcasts. Reading is a wonderful way to take some downtime, learn new things, and expand your horizons. If you’re constantly on the go, podcasts can be just effective. In 2022, explore genres you haven’t tried before. You’re under no obligation to finish if you don’t like the book or the episode.
Ready for a new job?
If you think a new role could be in your future, consider searching with SURESTAFF! We can help you find a light industrial position in Illinois, Indiana, Texas, New Jersey, or Wisconsin.